Silicon Valley is Embracing Anti-China Nationalism
Paris Marx is joined by JS Tan to discuss the internet’s connection with neoliberalism, China’s protectionist measures to develop its own tech industry, and how the new tensions between the United States and China are leading Silicon Valley to embrace nationalism.
JS Tan is a former tech worker and writer. He also started Collective Actions in Tech. He recently wrote articles about the tech angle on the Cold War for Foreign Policy and Trump’s attempted TikTok ban for Jacobin. Follow JS on Twitter as @organizejs.
Support the show
Venture capitalists aren’t funding critical analysis of the tech industry — that’s why the show relies on listener support.
Become a supporter on Patreon to ensure the show can keep promoting critical tech perspectives. That will also get you access to the Discord chat, a shoutout on the show, some stickers, and more!
- The solidarity between tech workers in the United States and China
- Key insights into tech worker activism from the Collective Actions in Tech database
- Mark Zuckerberg’s speech at Georgetown University
- Peter Thiel’s tech nationalism op-ed in the New York Times
- Eric Schmidt’s tech nationalism op-ed in the New York Times