Thinking about Tech in the Present Tense
Paris Marx is joined by Ben Tarnoff to discuss why we should look to the Luddites for inspiration, how history could inform a better future of technology, and what tech organizing might look like under a Joe Biden administration.
Ben Tarnoff is a co-founder of Logic Magazine and co-authored “Voices from the Valley: Tech Workers Talk About What They Do–and How They Do It” with Moira Weigel. The book will be released in October and can be preordered now. Follow Ben on Twitter as @bentarnoff.
Support the show
Venture capitalists aren’t funding critical analysis of the tech industry — that’s why the show relies on listener support.
Become a supporter on Patreon to ensure the show can keep promoting critical tech perspectives. That will also get you access to the Discord chat, a shoutout on the show, some stickers, and more!
- “To decarbonize we must decomputerize: why we need a Luddite revolution” by Ben Tarnoff
- “From Manchester to Barcelona” by Ben Tarnoff
- “The Making of the Tech Worker Movement” by Ben Tarnoff
- “The Making of the English Working Class” by E.P. Thompson
- “The Machine Breakers” by Eric Hobsbawm
- “Present Tense Technology” by David Noble