The Dangerous Religion of the Corporate Space Race
Paris Marx is joined by Mary-Jane Rubenstein to discuss how ideas that underpinned colonization and Manifest Destiny are now setting the foundation for the billionaire space race and the plan to colonize the cosmos.
Mary-Jane Rubenstein is the author of Astrotopia: The Dangerous Religion of the Corporate Space Race. She’s also a Professor of Religion and Science in Society at Wesleyan University.
Support the show
Venture capitalists aren’t funding critical analysis of the tech industry — that’s why the show relies on listener support.
Become a supporter on Patreon to ensure the show can keep promoting critical tech perspectives. That will also get you access to the Discord chat, a shoutout on the show, some stickers, and more!
- An excerpt of Mary-Jane’s book was published in Metapolis.
- Paris wrote about the business behind the billionaire space race and the problem with Starlink.
- Jeff Bezos’ Blue Origin recently got a contract to build a moon lander for NASA.
- One of Barack Obama’s legacies is pushing for the privatization of space flight.
- The US Commercial Space Launch Competitiveness Act of 2015 and Artemis Accords are attempts to unilaterally rewrite space law for US commercial interest.
- Catherine L. Newell wrote Destined for the Stars: Faith, the Future, and America's Final Frontier.