Crypto Winter Is Coming
As the podcast celebrates episode 100, Paris Marx is joined by Jacob Silverman to discuss the huge drop in crypto prices, the coming threat (to crypto) of interest rate hikes and regulation, the human impact of crypto schemes, and where things may be going next.
Jacob Silverman is a staff writer at The New Republic and writes about crypto with the actor Ben McKenzie. Follow Jacob on Twitter at @SilvermanJacob.
Support the show
Venture capitalists aren’t funding critical analysis of the tech industry — that’s why the show relies on listener support.
Become a supporter on Patreon to ensure the show can keep promoting critical tech perspectives. That will also get you access to the Discord chat, a shoutout on the show, some stickers, and more!
- Jacob and Ben McKenzie wrote about Tether. Zeke Faux also wrote an essential article on the stablecoin, and Jacob recommends Crypto Critics Corner.
- Crypto prices have plunged, and that’s hurt regular people.
- New York’s Attorney General reached a settlement with Tether last year.
- VC firm Andreessen Horowitz is making a big lobbying push in Washington, DC to get favorable crypto regulations.
- Matt Damon and Spike Lee are among the celebrities to take crypto money and help pump the industry.
- US regulators are looking at crypto regulations, and Biden administration is planning an executive order to move it forward.
- China banned crypto mining, Russia proposed a ban on crypto, and many countries have suffered power outages due to crypto mining.
- Stephen Diehl wrote explained how crypto is about arbitraging securities regulation.
- Diane Jeantet wrote about a massive series of Bitcoin pyramid schemes in Brazil.